Many common household products contain chemicals that, when inhaled, produce a drunken-like state. Approximately
one out of five eighth-graders reported using inhalants to get high at least once in their lives. Most inhalants are
extremely toxic to the body's organs. Inhalant use may cause neural damage - leading to the loss of reasoning ability as well
psychological and social problems. Significant damage to the liver and kidneys may also occur. Some inhalants may cause sudden
death due to heartbeat irregularities.
Users of inhalants may have a sense of lightheadedness and experience vivid fantasies.
Long-term users often lose weight have nosebleeds, mouth sores, and are irritable or depressed. Nausea, vomiting and extreme
salivation are common side effects. The table below fists common household products that are used as inhalants.
|Types of Inhalants
||model airplane glue, other glues, special elements|
||spray paint, hair spray, deodorant, air freshener|
||dry cleaning fluid, spot remover, degrease rs|
||whipped cream aerosols|
|Solvents and Gases
||nail polish remover, paint remover, correction fluid, lighter fluid|